July 1412:45 pm–1:45 pm
The data privacy landscape for retailers continues to evolve at a rapid pace as the industry continues to move to a more digital focus under an omnichannel approach to commerce. This transition presents an entire new set of emerging issues for retailers on information security, data protection, and compliance with new privacy laws. This session will help retailers navigate the rapidly changing patchwork of data privacy laws and learn protective measures around these developments to create compliant data protection policies and protocols to mitigate litigation risks and stay competitive.
Topics will include:
- Maturation of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Other new state privacy statutes, such as the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act
- Suits spurred from sale of customer data through aggregators, such as Wiland
- Developing a protective “best practices” privacy protocol
- Impact of recent Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) US Supreme Court ruling on e-commerce sites